All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.33Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $13.08Trending at AU $16.63
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
About this product
- DescriptionOver the past forty years, the criminal justice system in the United States has engaged in a very expensive policy failure, attempting to punish its way to public safety, with dismal results. So-called tough on crime policies have t only failed to effectively reduce crime, recidivism, and victimization but also created an incredibly inefficient system that routinely fails the public, taxpayers, crime victims, criminal offenders, their families, and their communities. Strategies that focus on behavior change are much more productive and cost effective for reducing crime than punishment, and in this book, William R. Kelly discusses the policy, process, and funding invations and priorities that the United States needs to effectively reduce crime, recidivism, victimization, and cost. He recommends proactive, evidence-based interventions to address crimigenic behavior; collaborative decision making from a variety of professions and disciplines; and a focus on invative alternatives to incarceration, such as problem-solving courts and probation. Students, professionals, and policy makers alike will find in this comprehensive text a bracing discussion of how our criminal justice system became broken and the best strategies by which to fix it.
- Author BiographyWilliam R. Kelly is professor in the Department of Sociology and the founding director of the Center for Criminology and Criminal Justice Research at the University of Texas-Austin. He has spent a considerable amount of time in the community consulting with local, state, and federal agencies on criminal justice issues. He has been involved in the development, implementation, and evaluation of dozens of criminal justice programs and policies. This book is a product of his vast understanding of the scientific research regarding what works, as well as his experience developing and evaluating a variety of justice programs and policies.
- Author(s)William R. Kelly
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.