All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis title of the American poet John Matthias' second English volume suggests both continuity and change. The first two sections continue the idiom of Turns (1975) and include many poems on English themes. The two concluding sequences chart voyages across the Atlantic; they are as 'extravagant, eclectic, polyglot, and original' as his earlier experimental poetry, but more accessible in their narrative and humour. D.M. Thomas wrote of John Matthias' last book in the T.L.S., ' Turns encompasses the order of art and the painful or grace-giving accidents of life; seriousness and wit; America's present, Russia's Stalinist yesterday, England's distant past; experiment and tradition. Mr. Matthias is eclectic, polyglot, often abstruse...But excessive virtuosity is forgivable in our stark poetic scene, and I admire very much the way life - his own and other people's - presses into his poems. He has something to say and a way of saying it. Turns is an exciting, richly promising collection'. Crossing bears out that promise.
- Author(s)John Matthias
- PublisherAnvil Press Poetry
- Date of Publication30/06/1979
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnvil Press Poetry
- Weight172 g
- Width140 mm
- Height220 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.