All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionA wildly enjoyable but shocking plunge into the forgotten comic literature of eighteenth-century Britain, Cruelty and Laughter uncovers a rich vein of cruel humor beneath the surface of Enlightenment civility that forces us to recognize just how slowly ordinary human sufferings became worthy of sympathy. Delving into an ermous archive of comic vels, jestbooks, farces, variety shows, and cartoons, Simon Dickie finds a vast repository of jokes about cripples, rape, and wife-beating alongside epigrams about syphilis and one-act comedies about hunchbacks in love. In the process, he expands our understanding of many of the century's major authors, including Samuel Richardson, Tobias Smollett, Jane Austen, and Henry Fielding. Cruelty and Laughter is an engaging, far-reaching study of the other side of culture in eighteenth-century Britain.
- Author BiographySimon Dickie is associate professor of English at the University of Toronto.
- Author(s)Simon Dickie
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication20/05/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note15 halftones
- Weight513 g
- Width90 mm
- Height60 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.