All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.77
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.98
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.17Trending at AU $33.19
About this product
- DescriptionFrom award-winning historian Hugh Thomas, Cuba: A History is the essential work for understanding one of the most fascinating and controversial countries in the world. Hugh Thomas's acclaimed book explores the whole sweep of Cuban history from the British capture of Havana in 1762 through the years of Spanish and United States domination, down to the twentieth century and the extraordinary revolution of Fidel Castro. Throughout this period of over two hundred years, Hugh Thomas analyses the political, ecomic and social events that have shaped Cuban history with extraordinary insight and panache, covering subjects ranging from sugar, tobacco and education to slavery, war and occupation. Encyclopaedic in range and breathtaking in execution, Cuba is surely one of the seminal works of world history. 'An astonishing feat ...the author does more to explain the phemen of Fidel's rise to power than anybody else has done so far' Spectator 'Brilliant' The New York Times 'Immensely readable. Thomas's tion of history's scope is generous, for he has t limited himself to telling old political and military events; he describes Cuban culture at all stages ...t merely accessible but absorbing. His language is witty but never mocking, crisp but never harsh' New Yorker 'Thomas seems to have talked to everybody t dead or in jail, and read everything. He is scrupulously fair' Time Hugh Thomas is the author of, among other books, The Spanish Civil War (1962), which won the Somerset Maugham Award, Cuba: The Pursuit of Freedom (1971), An Unfinished History of the World (1979), and the first two volumes of his Spanish Empire trilogy, Rivers of Gold (2003) and The Golden Age (2010).
- Author BiographyHugh Thomas is the author of, among other books, The Spanish Civil War (1962), which won the Somerset Maugham Award, Cuba: The Pursuit of Freedom (1971), An Unfinished History of the World (1979), and the first volume of his Spanish Empire trilogy, Rivers of Gold (2003). In 2008 he was made a Commandeur de l'Ordre des Arts et Lettres in France and in 2009 received the Calvo Serer Prize in Spain and the Bonino Prize in Italy. He was director of the Centre for Policy Studies in London from 1979 to 1991, and he became a life peer as Baron Thomas of Swynnerton in 1981.
- Author(s)Hugh Thomas
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication25/11/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Content Note12 pp b/w
- Weight818 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine51 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.