All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCuba is a land of contradictions that is easy to enjoy but difficult for first-time visitors to decipher. The largest island in the Caribbean, it is a tropical paradise that Christopher Columbus called the most beautiful land that human eyes have ever seen. It is famous for the romantic charm of its crumbling colonial cities, the beauty of its white sand beaches, and its irresistible Afro-Cuban dance beats. But it is also a land of shortages and tight government control, which has been in a sixty-year political standoff with its superpower neighbor, the USA. The homegrown version of single-party socialism created by Fidel Castro has kept Cuba in a Cold War time warp that only w is beginning to change. As travel restrictions are relaxed US tourists can once again visit the island. Greater flexibility toward private enterprise is opening it up to boutique hotels and high-quality home-based restaurants. There is a boom in special-interest tourism for cyclists, hikers, birdwatchers, and scuba divers, while foreign entrepreneurs are eagerly exploring investment opportunities. <i>Culture Smart! Cuba </i>will take you beyond the usual descriptions of Havana nightlife, vintage cars, and hand-rolled cigars and give you an insider s view of an island that is teetering on the brink of historic change. It offers insights into Cuba's fascinating history, national icons, unique food, vibrant cultural scene, and world-rewned music. Practical tips help business travelers gain an edge on the competition. But most of all, this book aims to show you how best to break the ice and get a better understanding of the infinitely resourceful Cuban people, who despite severe hardships and shortages over many years remain optimistic and fiercely proud of their heritage and culture.
- Author Biography<b>Russell Maddicks</b> is a much published BBC-trained journalist, translator, and travel writer. A graduate in Economic and Social History from the University of Hull, England, he has spent the last twenty years traveling, living, and working in South and Central America, most recently as Latin American Regional Specialist for BBC Monitoring. He has made many extended trips to Cuba, a country that continues to dazzle and surprise him. He is also the author of <i>Culture Smart! Venezuela</i> (2012), <i>Culture Smart! Ecuador </i>(2014), and the <i>Bradt Guide to Venezuela</i> (2011).
- Author(s)Mandy Macdonald,Russell Madicks
- Date of Publication20/05/2016
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight181 g
- Width109 mm
- Height168 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $34.38
- AU $34.95Trending at AU $41.24
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $12.23
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $45.52
- AU $34.95Trending at AU $37.74
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $20.62
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $19.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.