All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Martin Cary explores the surprising success of the Cuban educational system, where the average elementary school student learns much more than her Latin American peers. In developing the case for Cuba's supportive social context and centralized management of education, Cary asks important questions about educational systems in general. How responsible should government be for creating environments that encourage academic achievement? How much automy should teachers and schools have over their classrooms? Is there an inherent tradeoff between promoting individual choice and a better system of schooling? Cuba's Academic Advantage challenges many prevailing views about the effectiveness of educational markets, school and teacher automy, decentralized decision-making, and government responsibility for children's social and ecomic welfare. Drawing on interviews with teachers, principals, and policymakers, as well as hours of videotaped material taken in more than 30 classrooms, this book brings new evidence to bear on controversial educational issues currently under debate in many countries.
- Author BiographyMartin Carnoy is Professor of Education and Economics at Stanford University. He is the author of All Else Equal: Are Private and Public Schools Different (2002), Sustaining the New Economy: Work, Family and Community in the Information Age (2000), and Faded Dreams: The Economics and Politics of Race in America (1994).
- Author(s)Martin Carnoy
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication12/03/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Note21 tables, 6 figures
- Weight304 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.