All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $75.99Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionIn Renaissance and early modern Europe, various constellations of phemena-ranging from sex scandals to legal debates to flurries of satirical prints-collectively demonstrate, at different times and places, an increased concern with cuckoldry, impotence and adultery. This concern emerges in unusual events (such as scatological rituals of house-scorning), appears in neglected sources (such as drawings by Swiss mercenary soldier-artists), and engages invative areas of inquiry (such as the intersection between medical theory and Renaissance comedy). Interdisciplinary analytical tools are here deployed to scrutinize court scandals and decipher archival documents. Household recipes, popular literary works and a variety of visual media are examined in the light of contemporary sexual culture and contextualized with reference to current social and political issues. The essays in this volume reveal the central importance of sexuality and sexual metaphor for our understanding of European history, politics and culture, and emphasize the extent to which erotic presuppositions underpinned the early modern world.
- Author BiographySara F. Matthews-Grieco is Professor of History and Coordinator of Women's & Gender Studies at Syracuse University in Florence, Italy. She is also the editor of Erotic Cultures of Renaissance Italy.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleVisual Culture in Early Modernity
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 12 colour and 48 b&w illustrations
- Weight956 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine0 mm
- Edited bySara F. Matthews Grieco
- Series Edited byDr. Allison Levy
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.