All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionThe Eiffel Tower-this symbol of industrial development and the French Republic is w associated with a romantic vacation in Paris. Nelson Mandela-the hero of the struggle against apartheid was featured in a British Airways magazine article called The Power of Brand Mandela. This book explores these and other contemporary cultural icons that, over time, have been endowed with a complex and powerful layering of meanings. The authors analyze the way in which such icons, whether objects or persons, living or mythical, are constructed and disseminated. They also critically investigate the implications, in semiotic and cultural terms, of the accretion of meaning and popular recognition attached to them, their moral and aesthetic ambiguity, and their enduring appeal to a fascinated public. This slim and provocative volume is ideal for courses in and related to cultural studies.
- Author BiographyKeyan Tomaselli is Professor and Chair of Culture, Communication and Media Studies at the University of Kwazulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa. He is author of numerous papers and books on African cultural and media studies. Professor Tomaselli co-edits two book series on the African media-- Studies on the Southern African Media and Critical Studies on African Media and Culture-- and is the editor-in-chief of Critical Arts: a journal of south-north cultural and media studies.David Scott holds a personal chair in French (Textual and Visual Studies) at Trinity College Dublin. His books include Pictorialist Poetics (Cambridge UP 1988), Paul Delvaux (Reaktion Books 1992), European Stamp Design: a semiotic approach (Academy Editions 1995), and Semiologies of Travel (Cambridge UP, 2004). He is currently writing books entitled Figures de l'affiche / Poetics of the Poster and Boxing: Art and Aesthetics.
- PublisherLeft Coast Press Inc
- Date of Publication31/01/2009
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationWalnut Creek
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLeft Coast Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight282 g
- Width150 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byDavid Scott,Keyan G. Tomaselli
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.