All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionCulture and Gender in Nineteenth-Century Spain is a wide-ranging discussion on women's writing and representations of gender in Spanish literature and culture from the Romantic period to the fin de siecle. It is customary to regard gender roles and representation in nineteenth-century Spain as polarized and predictable. But in this volume, leading scholars from the UK and USA discuss t only patriarchal emphasis of Spanish culture, but also demonstrate that this was a period in which relations between men and women were being constantly negotiated, challenged, and redefined as part of an on-going transformation of political and national identities. Contributions look at women's writing and the representation of women in canical texts, the construction of both femininity and masculinity, issues of race and region, and popular fiction, journalism, and the visual arts. All quotations are given in Spanish and in English translation. Lively, challenging, and theoretically sophisticated, Culture and Gender in Nineteenth-Century Spain provides a much-needed overview of the Spanish cultural production in the most decisive of centuries.
- Author BiographyLou Charnon-Deutsch is the author of Narratives of Desire: Nineteenth-Century Spanish Fiction by Women (Pennsylvania State UP). Jo Labanyi is the author of Galdos (Longman, 1994) and of The Politics of the Family in the Spanish Realist Novel (Clarendon Press, forthcoming 1996). She is the co-editor of OUP's forthcoming Introduction to Spanish Cultural Studies.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication28/03/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleOxford Hispanic Studies
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintClarendon Press
- Content Note18 pp plates
- Weight475 g
- Width145 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJo Labanyi,Lou Charnon-Deutsch
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.