Culture at Work in Aviation and Medicine: National, Organizational and Professional Influences by Ashleigh C. Merritt, Robert L. Helmreich (Paperback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $57.92Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $39.01Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCulture forms a complex framework of national, organizational and professional attitudes and values within which groups and individuals function. The reality and strength of culture become salient when we work within a new group and interact with people who have well-established rms and values. In this book the authors report the results of their ongoing exploration of the influences of culture in two professions - aviation and medicine. Their focus is on commercial airline pilots and operating room teams. Within these two environments, they show the effects of professional, national and organizational cultures on individual attitudes, values and team interactions. From the Foreword by Captain Daniel Mauri: '...the authors direct their attention to applied research as well as to the search for practical tools to approach and deal with the relationship between culture, error and error management, and between culture and aviation human factors training for operational personnel. They devote particular attention to the link between culture and Crew Resource Management (CRM) training, a safety and prevention tool towards which few if any have contributed so much and so well..' '...The incorporation and management of cultural factors into aviation operations and practices simply represent ather tool to contribute to the aviation system's production goals. Encouraging progress has been made, but there is need for improvement. This book presents one possible way to move forward' Vividly laced with numerous contributions from a range of practitioners and researchers from Asia, Australia, Europe and the Americas, as well as case studies and practical examples, the book is designed to be accessible to practitioners and managers wishing to improve their own organization and to researchers with an interest in gaining a greater understanding of the types of culture.
- Author BiographyProfessor Robert L. Helmreich is Professor of Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin, USA and Director of the University of Texas Aerospace Crew Research Project. With his colleagues he has conducted research for the US Office of Naval Research, NASA, the FAA and several major airlines around the world, and with University of Basel/Kantonsspital Operating Room Human Factors Project. He served as an officer in the US Navy and gained his PhD at Yale University. Dr Ashleigh C. Merritt earned her PhD in psychology at the University of Texas at Austin, USA and also served as a postdoctoral fellow at the Aerospace Crew Research Project. An Australian by birth and attitude, Ashleigh now works with Jean Paries safety and human factors consulting group, Dedale, in Paris, France.
- Author(s)Ashleigh C. Merritt,Robert L. Helmreich
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/10/2001
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteindex
- Weight632 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.