About this product
- DescriptionThe world's quietest weapon of mass destruction is 75 percent cotton, 25 percent linen, and 100 percent fake. The amount of counterfeit money in circulation is unkwn, but hundreds of millions of bogus U.S. dollars are seized each year. Mass counterfeiting is t just organized crime, it can also be aggressive ecomic warfare waged by states to destabilize enemy governments, and it is reaching epidemic proportions. Forgery provides cash for states like North Korea and Iran in their pursuit of weaponsa fact publicly unackwledged, even as fears grow over their nuclear ambitions. InCurrency Wars, John Cooley maps this dirty matrix of war and politics, sabotage and subterfuge, with new evidence and recently disclosed documents. With sound grounding in current affairs and history alike, Cooley demonstrates that the machinations of today's states echo attempts in antiquity by Persia, Greece, Rome, and China to use and defend against forgery and currency debasement. Counterfeiting remained a high crime throughout medieval and Renaissance Europe; played a key role in the American and French Revolutions; and was used by the British, Germans, and Soviets in two World Wars. Bad money mixed with post-war dictatorships, and was a tool of the KGB, CIA, Stasi, Hezbollah, the Medellin cartels, and the Chinese Triads. This compelling, accessible account reveals grand-scale forgery's corrosive implications for global ecomic, political, and social stability. It is essential reading for anyone concerned with the complications and consequences of increasing and inevitable globalization, and it serves as a provocative reminder of the ways in which human greed and fear act as catalysts in world ecomics.
- Author(s)John W Cooley
- PublisherSterling Juvenile
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSterling Juvenile
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width166 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.