All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe initial version of the Curtiss P-40, designated by the manufacturer as the Hawk H-81, combined the established airframe of the earlier radial-powered H-75 (P-36) fighter with the Allison V-1710 liquid-cooled engine. The year was 1939, and the marriage was one of expediency. With the threat of war in Europe growing by the day, the US Army Air Corps brass wanted a modern fighter that would combine the sterling handling qualities of the P-36 with a boost in performance that would make it competitive with the new types emerging in Germany and England, and the generals wanted the new plane immediately. The P-40 delivered admirably, and though it never reached the performance levels of the Bf 109 or Spitfire, the sturdy fighter nevertheless made a place in history for itself as the Army's frontline fighter when the US entered World War II. Long-sed P-40s initially saw combat in North Africa, flying in Royal Air Force squadrons. They also fought in the skies over Pearl Harbor and the Philippines. But the long-sed P-40 is best kwn as the shark-faced fighter flown by the American Volunteer Group - the legendary Flying Tigers - over Burma and China during 1941-42.
- Author BiographyCarl Molesworth, a resident of Mount Vernon, Washington, USA, is a former newspaper and magazine editor now working as a publicist and freelance writer. A graduate of the University of Maryland with a BA in English, Carl served as an enlisted man in the United States Air Force, 1968-72. He has been researching and writing about fighter operations in World War II for more than 30 years. His eleven previous titles include three books in Osprey's Aircraft of the Aces series, three in the Elite Units series and two in the Duel series.
- Author(s)Carl Molesworth
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication07/05/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleAir Vanguard
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Adam Tooby,Richard Chasemore
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.