All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe digital age will always be marked by the spirit of its first emergence, and the tension from the very first between corporate high-tech and the appropriation of information techlogies by the counter-culture. Cyberia is an ideas-led, exuberant documentary written in 1994 about the converging strands of this new era, the empowerments of cyber-techlogy and the emergent hacker and cyber milieu. Mondo 2000 and Wired, smart drugs and nicknames that Warhol's factory crew would have killed for, fractals and issues of electronic privacy, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and raves. Cyberia is about the confluence of all these into an identifiable vum. The story grows out of conversations with the first cyberians - those who wrote the software, or cracked the sites, who took inspiration from complex maths and psychedelic drugs. Rushkoff's is a journalist's record, but with an infectious momentum borrowed from the birth of a new age. Whatever the mutations of global culture in a digital age, Cyberia will always serve as a benchmark of the first beginnings. This edition is supplemented by new material from Rushkoff's journalism on the subject since publication of the first edition. Also included is a new introduction by the author.
- Author BiographyDouglas Rushkoff is a regular columnist for The Guardian and is professor of Media Culture at New York University.
- Author(s)Douglas Rushkoff
- PublisherClinamen Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2002
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintClinamen Press Ltd
- Weight349 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.