All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<i>Cycle Space</i> is the first book to view the city through the lens--or rearview mirror--of the bicycle. It features portraits of eight major cities and their respective cycling cultures: New York, Chicago, Portland, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Budapest, Sao Paolo, Singapore and Sydney. Each of these cities has seen a groundswell of cyclists taking to its streets in recent years. From death-defying bike messengers to hipsters with a taste for cycle chic to commuters simply riding to work, cycling is w being viewed as more than just an alternative: it's practical; it's cool; it's green. In <i>Cycle Space</i>, architecture professor and cycling enthusiast Steven Fleming (or Dr. Behooving, as he is kwn to those who follow his blog, Behooving Moving) suggests new ways of designing better cities, thereby reducing emissions, commute times, ill health and sprawl in the process. Not only can architecture and urban design begin to optimize conditions for cycling; they can also take inspiration from the aesthetics and ethics of cycling as well. Fleming argues that understanding why more and more people are choosing bikes is key for discovering the full potential of the bicycle as a transformative force in the design of our cities. <i>Cycle Space</i> is a must-read for anyone interested in the nexus of architecture, cycling and urban design.
- Author(s)Steven Fleming
- PublisherNetherlands Architecture Institute (NAi Uitgevers/Publishers)
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- Place of PublicationRotterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintNAI Publishers
- Weight458 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $30.02Trending at AU $32.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.