All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe story of a pioneering airline and a historically significant aircraft; the combination changed the world of air commerce forever. This unique book tells the story of the Douglas DC-8 jetliner in the service of air cargo giant Flying Tiger Line, with a detailed individual airframe history of every one of the forty-seven DC-8s that flew for the airline; pilot s recollections of their time on type; a wealth of photographic, technical and promotional material; and a pair of epic historical essays. The first covers the history of the airline, of American Volunteer Group pilots in China in World War 2, evolving into a fly-by-night cargo outfit in the propliner era, growing in size and sophistication until the Flying Tiger Line was a global brand in air cargo in the golden days of the jet age. The other essay covers the DC-8 from the beginning of the Douglas story in the time of the Wright Bros right up to the last active DC-8 of today including an in-depth look at NASA s DC-8-72 flying laboratory.Aviation journalist Charles Kennedy (Airliner World, Aviation News, Airways) and historian Guy Van Herbruggen (who led the project to rescue and restore the original Flying Tigers DC-8 simulator) have created an essential addition to every aviation enthusiasts bookshelf. .
- Author(s)Charles Kennedy,Guy Van Herbruggen
- PublisherAstral Horizon Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2015
- SubjectTransport Industries
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAstral Horizon Press
- Width235 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.