Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
About this product
- DescriptionThe aim of this book is to enable vices to cruise safely and enjoyably. It will cover the preparations needed before undertaking a cruise, operating the boat under different and sometimes challenging conditions, advise how to cope when things go wrong, how to conform to the rules and regulations, and how to navigate in all conditions. It presents the advice and information in just the same way that the cruiser will encounter the situations on passage - from setting off to arriving at their destination. Topics include: Preparing to cruise (weather forecasts, route planning, checklists); Leaving harbour (harbour entrances, setting courses and speeds, crew briefing, food and drink); Assessing weather and sea conditions (fine tuning your plans); Watch keeping under way (visual and electronic navigation, coping with alarms); Entering harbour (planning ahead, radio channels, finding an anchorage, speeds); Cruising at night and in fog (lights, radar, shipping lanes, stopping distance); Adventurous cruising (navigating inshore, beach landing, hidden dangers); Fuel management and ecomy (ecomical speeds, boat trim, reserves); Comfort on board (cooking and sleeping at sea, security); When things go wrong (potential problems, safety equipment, coping with fire, leaks, grounding, engine problems, calling for help); Rules and regulations (collision regulations, traffic lanes, going foreign, qualifications). Aimed at owners of powerboats and motor cruisers between 25 and 65ft, the book is entirely practical, with checklists, sidebars, box-outs, many diagrams and is illustrated with superb action photos.
- Author BiographyDag Pike began his career as a merchant captain, went on to test RNLI lifeboats, and took up fast boat navigation, winning a string of trophies for powerboat races around the world, including navigating Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic Challenger on the record-breaking fastest Atlantic crossing by powerboat. He is now a navigation and powerboat journalist in demand all round the world.
- Author(s)Dag Pike
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/03/2012
- SubjectWater Sports
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAdlard Coles Nautical
- Content NoteFull colour throughout
- Weight607 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.