All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs compelling as it is tough, sidestepping piety in favour of clear-eyed infectious anger. (Rebecca Nicolson Sunday Times). Irene Dalila Mwathi comes from Kenya with a brutally violent personal history. Once she wanted to be a journalist, w all she wants is to be safe. When she finally arrives, bewildered, in London, she is attacked by the very people paid to protect her, and she has choice but to step out on her own into this strange new world. Through a dizzying array of interviews, lawyer's meetings, regulations and detention centres, she realises that what she faces may be less dangerous than the violence she has fled. Written with grace, humour and compassion, this timely and thought-provoking vel tackles its uncomfortable subject matter in a deeply affecting way. A book about forging dignity in a world of tragedy, and raising issues about immigration and asylum-seekers through the story of one woman's plight, Dalila is a necessary tale of our times. It is also a work of great literary power: a slow-burning, spell-binding vel about how we treat the vulnerable and dispossessed that will leave its readers devastated.
- Author BiographyJason Donald was born in Scotland and grew up in South Africa. He studied English Literature and Philosophy at St Andrews University and, in 2005, graduated from Glasgow University's Creative Writing Masters Degree programme with distinction. His first novel, Choke Chain, was published by Cape in 2009.
- Author(s)Jason Donald
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication19/01/2017
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJonathan Cape Ltd
- Weight495 g
- Width144 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine33 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.47
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $91.13
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.49
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $14.80
- AU $12.29Trending at AU $17.31
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.67
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.