All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRather than focusing on dance injuries, this book takes a positive approach showing what a dancer can do to dance better, which, in turn, will decrease injury rates. It presents human anatomy and motion in a functional, dance-specific way that teaches the readers to appreciate and take ownership of their bodies through a tour of the musculoskeletal system and movement analysis. The book is divided into three parts. Part one, Anatomy, describes the specific characteristics that affect motion at each individual joint, demonstrated by a variety of hands-on activities for readers to perform. Part two, Movement Analysis, discusses muscles that produce movement and introduces readers to a system of movement analysis. Part three, Conditioning, provides a practical, integrative approach to exercise for enhanced performance. The written material is accompanied by anatomical line drawings commissioned for the book, photographs, and an assortment of experiential activities specifically designed for dancers.
- Author BiographyGayanne Grossman taught modern dance technique for 22 years and has provided dance-specific physical therapy for 26 years. She holds a BFA in dance, a BS in physical therapy from the Univesity of Utah, and an EdM in dance education from Temple University. She is the director of dance wellness, resident physical therapist, and an instructor of anatomy, kinesiology, and dance conditioning for the department of theatre and dance at Muhlenberg College. She has served on the board of directors of the International Association for Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS) and the Performing Arts Special Interest Group of the American Physical Therapy Association. She lives in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)Gayanne Grossman
- PublisherPrinceton Book Company
- Date of Publication01/08/2015
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton Book Company
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight885 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.