Best-selling in Children's Picture Books
Save on Children's Picture Books
- AU $9.84Trending at AU $13.00
- AU $24.95Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $12.80Trending at AU $13.14
- AU $6.81Trending at AU $10.66
- AU $18.74Trending at AU $20.05
- AU $7.27Trending at AU $11.61
- AU $11.69Trending at AU $13.39
About this product
- DescriptionLibby and her older brother, J.D., don't get along, and their relationship is tested in an unexpected way when they visit their grandparents in Santa Fe. It's the week after Easter and Grandma Socorro is eager to share a cultural tradition with her grandchildren - the Baile de los Cascarones, the Dance of the Eggshells. Although both children are skeptical, Libby soon immerses herself in carefully emptying and rinsing the cascarones or eggshells, then filling them with brightly colored confetti. As Libby decorates them, Grandma Socorro tells her about the Spanish tradition. At the Baile de los Cascarones, people ask one ather to dance by gently crushing cascarones over their heads. When the day of the baile arrives, Libby is excited to take part in the fun. While J.D. bombards his cousins with cascarones and igres the dancing, Libby learns every traditional dance. During the popular Baile de la Escoba (the Broom Dance), J.D. is forced to dance and Libby saves him from embarrassment. This bilingual children's story explores the family bond created through traditions passed on by grandparents. Through Libby's first exposure to the Baile de los Cascarones, author Carla Aragon recounts one of her favorite customs while growing up in Santa Fe.
- Author BiographyCarla Aragon is an Emmy Award-winning journalist who spent thirty-five years in broadcasting in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Los Angeles, California. This is the first of many bilingual children's books she hopes to write on her family traditions. Kathleen Dee Saville is a former art teacher in the Iowa City and Albuquerque public schools. She is also a musician, singer, and composer. Kathy resides in Rohnert Park, California.
- PublisherUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2010
- LanguageEnglish & Spanish
- SubjectPicture Books
- Place of PublicationAlbuquerque, NM
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Content Note31 colour illustrations
- Weight376 g
- Width254 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Interest Age6 and up
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.