Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.16
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $18.37
About this product
- Description<b>Many of the events and incidents in this book really happened...</b>><b><i>The circumstances may differ, the characters too, but essentially it is truth disguised - as all good fiction should be.</i></b> Young Chris Ryan was stranger to trouble After riding his bicycle on the corrugated iron roof of a country court-house during the trial of a friend by an unpopular magistrate, he progressed to burning down the shooting hides of a game-cropper who had poisoned waterholes on his father's neighbouring game ranch. To avoid arrest, his father hurriedly packed him off to a friend in Australia. It's where they send all criminals like you, his father joked. But Chris had other plans, and a score to settle. It was a more responsible Chris who returns with his bride when his father is tragically killed by an elephant during a culling operation. They take on the running of the game ranch, but the Rhodesian Bush War intervenes and they are forced to leave for safety. During an attack on a hilltop in Mozambique, the discovery of a clay jar containing ancient Phoenician Papyri seems of little consequence to Chris, until he hands it in to the wrong authority. <b>Zarena Bontoux</b> is a victim of female genital mutilation and a heiroglyphics expert at the Cairo Museum in Egypt. A copy of the papyri is sent to her to decipher, but simply possessing it leads to the unraveling of her own history and the revisiting of a tragic past at the hands of her radical Islamic father. <b>Sir Percy Ladbroke</b> is Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, England. The days of the spies and 'ring of five' have long gone, but the legacy remains. A seemingly harmless gathering of retired old friends, meeting each Friday night at the club to help one of their own in a time of need. <b>Silas Tongara</b> is the most wanted terrorist sought by the Rhodesian security forces for his brutal atrocities, many against his own people. <b>Reviewer: Ray Franklin - <i>Sunshine Coast Daily</i></b><b>Jerold Richert</b> is the latest of a long line of old African hands who writes with feeling about what he kws best.
Happily, though, his passion is equaled by his proficiency. He writes well, and he has a fine tale to tell.
The author, who w lives in Buderim, was born in South Africa, but spent his formative years in Rhodesia, w Zimbabwe.
He became a pilot and served in an elite anti-terrorist unit during the Rhodesia's so called Bush War.
His central character is a pilot and Selous Scouts' tracker, enmeshed in a deadly contest with guerrilla bands ravaging farms and homesteads along the Mozambique border
Richert's book is the first in a series of five Africa-based vels, with the next due later this year.
Going on his form so far, it should also be worth reading. <b>5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down, June 14, 2011 By Ianklux (Sofia Bulgaria</b> 9.15 am I had a look at the seven reviews and thought hmmm, sounds interesting! 9.30 am I purchased the book on my KINDLE Thinking I would read it sometime during the week, I flipped it open just to get a feel of what it was all about... 10.am I was well and truly hooked. I read steadily all day, I just couldn't put it down. 12.40 am. Apart from a lunch and dinner break with a few other stops I completed a 15 hour marathon and finished reading the entire book! It has been so many years since I did this that I cant remember which book and when it was that I was so gripped. This is a fast paced action story by someone who obviously understands Africa, everything there is to kw about flying smallish air-planes, the horrors of terrorist warfare - and that strange and horrible practice FGM. Full of believable plots, real-life characters and one hell of a good read.
- Author(s)Jerold Richert
- PublisherJerold Richert
- Date of Publication09/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJerold Richert
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight494 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.