CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $73.90Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionThe reflexive approach and the concept of bimusicality have made possible this in-depth study of the Rada rite, the foundation of the complex and sensationalized religion of Haiti, Vodun. Fleurant returned to his native Haiti to immerse himself in the socio-cultural life of those who practice the religion that was brought to Haiti by the people captured in Africa from the 16th to the 18th centuries. Through total immersion in daily life culture and apprenticeship in the music culture (reflexive approach and concept of bimusicality), the author has accessed information and provided a descriptive analysis heretofore unavailable to scholars. From this privileged position, the author details the complexity, sophistication, and beauty of the ritual, music, and dance. The pioneering works on the music or the dance of Vodun have attempted to cover the whole ritual spectrum. Fleurant contends that the religion is too complex and too sensationalized to be treated in one volume and that each rite should be studied separately and in greater depth. Dancing Spirits examines drum rhythms, song tunes, and texts of the major Rada dances. A model of the Rada ceremony in Bopo, a community located some ten miles rth of Port-au-Prince, serves as a guide to the reader t familiar with Vodun liturgy. The work challenges studies that do t delve deeply eugh into this complex religion, and serves as a model for further studies.
- Author BiographyGERDES FLEURANT is Associate Professor of Music at Wellesley College. An initiated oungan and activist in the Greater Boston Haitian-American community, Fleurant lectures extensively on Haitian culture, Pan Africanism, Humanocentrism (a concept he coined), and music throughout the United States.
- Author(s)Gerdes Fleurant
- Date of Publication21/10/1996
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleContributions to the Study of Music & Dance
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 42.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteglossary, bibliography, index
- Weight475 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.