All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDancing at the crossroads used to be young people's opportunity to meet and enjoy themselves on mild summer evenings in the countryside in Ireland -- until this practice was banned by law, the Public Dance Halls Act in 1935. Now a key metaphor in Irish cultural and political life, 'dancing at the crossroads' also crystallizes the argument of this book: Irish dance, from Riverdance (the commercial show) and competitive dancing to dance theatre, conveys that Ireland is to be found in a crossroads situation with a firm base in a distinctly Irish tradition which is also becoming a prominent part of European modernity. Helena Wulff is Associate Professor of Social Anthropology at Stockholm University. Publications include Twenty Girls (Almqvist & Wiksell International, 1988), Ballet across Borders (Berg, 1998), Youth Cultures (co-edited with Vered Amit-Talai, Routledge, 1995), New Techlogies at Work (co-edited with Christina Garsten, Berg, 2003). Her research focusses on dance, visual culture, and Ireland.
- Author BiographyHelena Wulff is Professor of Social Anthropology at Stockholm University. Her research focusses on expressive cultural forms in a transnational perspective. Studies on the transnational world of dance and social memory have generated questions in relation to place, mobility and emotions, as well as to visual culture and writing. Among her publications are The Emotions: A Cultural Reader (editor, 2007, Berg), Ballet Across Borders: Career and Culture in the World of Dancers (Berg, 1998, reprinted 2001), and Youth Cultures: A Cross-Cultural Perspective (edited with Vered Amit-Talai, 1995, Routledge).
- Author(s)Helena Wulff
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication06/12/2008
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleDance Performance Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 1
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight255 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.