All listings for this product
About this product
- Description18 years old and fresh out of high school, Karl Ove Knausgaard moves to a tiny fisherman's village far rth of the polar circle to work as a school teacher. He has interest in the job itself - or in any other job for that matter. His intention is to save up eugh money to travel while finding the space and time to start his writing career. Initially everything looks fine: He writes his first few short stories, finds himself accepted by the hospitable locals and receives flattering attention from several beautiful local girls. But then, as the darkness of the long polar nights start to cover the beautiful landscape, Karl Ove's life also takes a darker turn. The stories he writes tend to repeat themselves, his drinking escalates and causes some disturbing blackouts, his repeated attempts at losing his virginity end in humiliation and shame, and to his own distress he also develops romantic feelings towards one of his 13-year-old students. Along the way, there are flashbacks to his high school years and the roots of his current problems. And then there is the shadow of his father, whose sharply increasing alcohol consumption serves as an omius backdrop to Karl Ove's own lifestyle. The fourth part of a sensational literary cycle that has been hailed as perhaps the most important literary enterprise of our times. (Guardian).
- Author BiographyKarl Ove Knausgaard's first novel, Out of the World, was the first ever debut novel to win the Norwegian Critics Prize and his second, A Time to Every Purpose Under Heaven, was widely acclaimed. A Death in the Family, the first of the My Struggle cycle of novels, was awarded the prestigious Brage Prize. The My Struggle cycle has been heralded as a masterpiece all over the world.
- PrizesShortlisted for Oxford-Weidenfeld Translation Prize 2016.
- Author(s)Karl Ove Knausgaard
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication05/03/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleKnausgaard
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHarvill Secker
- Weight929 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Translated byDon Bartlett
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $70.92
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.13
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.03
- AU $12.62Trending at AU $17.01
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.