All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionThe debt-ceiling debacle of 2011 was clear evidence of the dangerous polarization of American politics. Heedless of the warnings of ecomists, a majority of Republicans in the House refused to allow the Treasury to borrow eugh money to pay for spending already ordered by Congress. The government avoided a catastrophic default only by unprecedented legislative contortions. The debt ceiling fight also showed that the two parties simply don't understand each other. In Dangerous Convictions, former Democratic Congressman Tom Allen, explains how beneath the surface of our political debates, the incompatible world views of the two parties have turned Congress into a dysfunctional body. Years of listening to what seemed to me to be preposterous arguments in committee, on the House floor, or in private conversations, he writes, changed my mind about our capacity to find bipartisan agreement on the most fundamental topics. Likewise, most Republican Members of Congress gave credence to Democratic arguments on budget and tax issues, health care, and climate change. Allen argues that smaller government, lower taxes in all times and circumstances is t an ecomic policy, but an ideological barrier to meaningful debate and the simplest compromises. In the last thirty years, he suggests, Republicans and Democrats have been speaking different languages; GOP Members increasingly see government as a threat to personal liberty, while Democrats continue to believe it can be a vehicle to expand opportunity and serve the common good. Combining personal experience with the insights of George Lakoff, Norman Ornstein, Robert Bellah, Isaiah Berlin, and many others, Allen explains why we need to understand the ideological conflict and escape its grip-and allow Congress to work productively on our 21st century challenges.
- Author BiographyTom Allen is President and CEO of the American Association of Publishers. He is former U.S. Congressman representing Maine's 1st District from 1997 to 2009.
- Author(s)Tom Allen
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication07/02/2013
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width163 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.