All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlphonso Lingis is an original among American philosophers. An eloquent and insightful commentator on continental philosophers, he is also a phemelogist who has gone to live in many lands. Dangerous Emotions continues the line of inquiry begun in Abuses , taking the reader to Easter Island, Japan, Java, and Brazil as Lingis poses a new range of questions and brings his extraordinary descriptive skills to bear on incence and the love of crime, the relationships of beauty with lust and of joy with violence and violation. He explores the religion of animals, the force in blessings and in curses. When the sphere of work and reason breaks down, and in catastrophic events we catch sight of cosmic time, our anxiety is mixed with exhilaration and ecstasy. More than acceptance of death, can philosophy understand joy in dying? Haunting and courageous, Lingis' writing has generated intense interest and debate among gender and cultural theorists as well as philosophers, and Dangerous Emotions is certain to introduce his work to an ever broader circle of readers.
- Author BiographyAlphonso Lingis is Professor of Philosophy at the Pennsylvania State University and author of Abuses (California, 1994), The Community of Those Who Have Nothing in Common (1994), Foreign Bodies (1994), and other books.
- Author(s)Alphonso Lingis
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication07/03/2000
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note13 black-and-white photographs
- Weight54 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.