All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMarco Santagata's Dante: The Story of His Life illuminates one of the world's supreme poets from many angles--writer, philosopher, father, courtier, political partisan. Santagata brings together a vast body of Italian scholarship on Dante's medieval world, untangles a complex web of family and political relationships for English readers, and shows how the composition of the Commedia was influenced by local and regional politics.Santagata traces Dante's attempts to establish himself in Florentine society as a man of both letters and action. He raises the intriguing possibility that Dante translated an illness, thought by some to be epilepsy, into an intensely physical phemelogy of love in the Vita Nova. Most importantly, Santagata highlights Dante's constant need to readjust his political stance--his involvement with the pro-Papacy Guelph faction as well as his network of patrons--in response to unfolding events. Linking these shifts to the changing ethical and political convictions expressed in the Commedia, Santagata reveals the paradoxical achievement of Dante's masterpiece: a unified, universal poem netheless intimately entwined with the day-to-day dealings of its author.The most striking facet of Dante's personality was a belief in his unique destiny. In every aspect of his life--his birth under the sign of Gemini, falling in love with Beatrice, banishment from Florence--Dante glimpsed the shadow of his fate. This idea, cultivated by the poet in his youth, grew into the conviction that God had invested him with the prophetic mission of saving humanity.
- Author BiographyMarco Santagata is Professor of Italian Literature at the University of Pisa.
- Author(s)Marco Santagata
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication12/04/2016
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Weight816 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Translated byRichard Dixon
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.