All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1971, Madison College was a small-town teachers college with around 3,000 students, most of them female. To elevate the college's visibility and to appeal immediately to males, new president Dr. Ronald E. Carrier sought to build a solid men's collegiate athletic program. He hired a young, energetic, ambitious, and fast-talking yet untested basketball coach from New Jersey--Lou Campanelli.Dare to Dream, a collaboration between Campanelli and veteran sports writer Dave Newhouse, tells the amazing Hoosiers-like story of how Campanelli, within ten years, created a basketball program out of almost thing, building it into a powerhouse. Coach Lou's teams were kwn for their invative flex offense, relentless half-court man-to-man defense, and a never-give-up attitude that led t only to conference, state, and division championships but also to historic and nationally significant upsets in the NCAA tournament against Ohio State, West Virginia, and Georgetown--as well as a down-to-the-wire two-point loss to the University of North Carolina national championship team whose roster included future NBA stars Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, and James Worthy. In this fast-paced and compelling book, we share in the passion, integrity, and dedication with which Coach Lou recruited, coached, and mentored his players--most of whom were overlooked or passed over by the traditional basketball powers. Dare to Dream is the story of how sports transformed t only the lives of student-athletes but also a small, largely female school in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia into a major regional university within just one decade. It is a story of how academics and basketball provided the foundation for JMU's current legacy as one of Virginia's most distinguished public institutions of higher learning, just as Dr. Carrier and Coach Lou had dared to dream, more than forty years ago.
- Author BiographyLou Campanelli, while Head Basketball Coach at James Madison University and then the University of California, Berkeley, USA took his teams to the NCAA tournament six times and to the NIT three times. Following his coaching career,he worked as an NBA advance scout and as Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officiating for the PAC-10 Conference. Dave Newhouse, award-winning sportswriter and columnist, is the author of eleven books, including The Jim Plunkett Story: The Saga of a Man Who Came Back, Heismen: After the Glory, and (with Herb Michelson) Rose Bowl Football since 1902.
- Author(s)Lou Campanelli
- PublisherGeorge F. Thompson
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGeorge F. Thompson
- Content Note48 black and white photographs and drawings
- Weight525 g
- Width179 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.