Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
About this product
- DescriptionDante's Infer is often presented today in lurid 'gothic' terms as if it were more than an entertaining demonic freak-show. Alternately, it is taken as merely a cultural and political commentary on Dante's own place and time, cast in allegorical terms. But the Infer, and the Divine Comedy as a whole, are much more than that. The human passions, and the Mystery of Iniquity of which they are expressions, are fundamentally the same in any place and time; the Infer presents t so much a history of sin as a catalogue of the archetypes of sin, the fundamental ways in which all of us are tempted to betray the human form. Based on the works of a number of the Greek Fathers, on the writings of several members of the Traditionalist School, tably Frithjof Schuon and Ren Gun, and on the kind of wide personal experience of the violation of the human form that is available to anyone in these times with both the requisite discernment-rooted in love-and the courage to keep his or her eyes open, Jennifer Doane Upton has once again seen Dante's Infer as it really is. It is the record of the struggle of the human mind, will, and emotions to discover and name, by the grace of God, the sins resident in the human soul. As both a traditional re-presentation and a contemporary revisioning of the 'examination of conscience', individual and collective, Dark Way to Paradise is at once an exegetical masterpiece and a handbook of demology of concrete use to any true physician of the soul. In its direct application of metaphysical principles to 'infernal psychology', it is unique among Dante commentaries. And in a time like ours, when the Western Church appears to be dissolving before our eyes, to save again what Dante himself saved out of the great medieval Christian synthesis has never been so timely.
- Author(s)Jennifer D Upton
- PublisherSophia Perennis et Universalis
- Date of Publication12/03/2005
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSophia Perennis et Universalis
- Weight472 g
- Width229 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byCharles Upton
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.