Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.88+ AU $6.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-united
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne incendiary image ignites the next in this highly combustible procedural...written with a ferocious passion that'll kck the wind out of you. --The New York Times Book Review <p/> Fine Southern storytelling meets hard-boiled crime in a tale that connects an overlooked chapter of history to our own continuing struggles with race today. --Charles Frazier, bestselling author of Cold Mountain <p/> This page-turner reads like the best of James Ellroy. --Publishers Weekly, starred review <p/> In the way the story is told coupled with its heightened racial context, Darktown reminded me of Walter Mosley or a George Pelecas vel. --Milwaukee Journal Sentinel <p/> High-quality...crime fiction with a nimble sense of history...quick on its feet and vividly drawn. --Dallas Morning News <p/> Some books educate, some books entertain, Thomas Mullen's Darktown is the rare book that does both. --Huffington Post <p/> The award-winning author of The Last Town on Earth delivers a riveting and elegant police procedural set in 1948 Atlanta, exploring a murder, corrupt police, and strained race relations that feels ripped from today's headlines. <p/>Responding to orders from on high, the Atlanta Police Department is forced to hire its first black officers, including war veterans Lucius Boggs and Tommy Smith. The newly minted policemen are met with deep hostility by their white peers; they aren't allowed to arrest white suspects, drive squad cars, or set foot in the police headquarters. <p/>When a black woman who was last seen in a car driven by a white man turns up dead, Boggs and Smith suspect white cops are behind it. Their investigation sets them up against a brutal cop, Dunlow, who has long run the neighborhood as his own, and his partner, Rakestraw, a young progressive who may or may t be willing to make allies across color lines. Among shady moonshiners, duplicitous madams, crooked lawmen, and the constant restrictions of Jim Crow, Boggs and Smith will risk their new jobs, and their lives, while navigating a dangerous world--a world on the cusp of great change. <p/>Set in the postwar, pre-civil rights South, and evoking the socially resonant and morally complex crime vels of Dennis Lehane and Walter Mosley, Darktown is a vivid, smart, intricately plotted crime saga that explores the timely issues of race, law enforcement, and the uneven scales of justice.
- Author(s)Thomas Mullen
- PublisherAtria Books
- Date of Publication13/09/2016
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleDarktown
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAtria Books
- Weight522 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.95
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $83.88
- AU $12.60Trending at AU $17.01
- AU $17.72Trending at AU $19.73
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.38
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.