All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCamera lens and lunar light. Darren Almond's cturnal nature series. In Fullmoon, the conceptual meets the poetic: British artist Darren Almond catches natural archetypes and silent landscapes in night photographs made under a full moon, with the shutter kept open for over a quarter of an hour. The long exposure time illuminates the landscape almost like daybreak, but the atmosphere is different: a mild glow emanates even from the shadows, star-lines cross the sky, and water blankets the earth like a misty froth. The enhanced moonlight infuses the pichlres with a haunted quality, casting the landscapes in an unease, in a sense of the sublime and in a contemplation of time, both in our natural surroundings and in the photographic art. This book collects roughly 250 images which Almond captured following the full moon around the globe. Natural monuments like Yosemite National Park and the German Isle of Rilgen draw links to Romantic paintings by Albert Bierstadt and Caspar David Friedrich, respectively, and the whole series circles around the possibility of Romantic themes today: majestic American mountains, austere Arctic ice fields, picturesque rocks by the seashore in Japan, and, most intimately viewed, the nature of Britain, whose painterly subjects are closest to home. This book covers all parts of the series from the turn of the century up until today, with an introduction by Sheena Wagstaff, head of the Modern and Contemporary Art Department of the Metropolitan Museum in New York. It is also available in three Art Editions, all numbered and signed by the artist.
- Author BiographyThe editor: Hans Werner Holzwarth is a book designer and editor based in Berlin, with numerous publications mainly on contemporary art and photography. For TASCHEN he has edited, among other titles, Jeff Koons, Christopher Wool, Albert Oehlen and Neo Rauch.
- Author(s)Hans Werner Holzwarth
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication15/12/2014
- LanguageEnglish, French, German
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight2722 g
- Width300 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.