All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFootball is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win. (Gary Lineker). 13 July 2014, World Cup Final, the last ten minutes of extra time: Germany forward Mario Gotze, receiving a floated pass from his international teammate Andre Schurrle, jumps slightly to meet the ball and cushion it with his chest. Landing on his left foot, he takes a step with his right, swivels, and in one fluid motion, without the ball touching the ground, volleys it past the onrushing Argentine goalkeeper into the far corner of the net. The goal wins Germany the World Cup for the first time in almost twenty-five years. In the aftermath, Gotze looks dazed, unable to comprehend what he has done. In Das Reboot, journalist and television pundit Raphael Honigstein charts the return of German football from the international wilderness of the late 1990s to Gotze's moment of genius and asks how did this come about? How did German football transform itself from its efficient, but unappealing and defensively minded traditions to the free-flowing, attacking football that was on display in 2014? The answer takes him from California to Stuttgart, from Munich to the Maracana, via Dortmund and Durban. Packed with exclusive interviews with the key protagonists, Honigstein's book lifts the lid on the secrets of German football's success.
- Author BiographyRaphael Honigstein is the UK's top expert on German football. He is a columnist for the Guardian and ESPN, writes for Suddeutsche Zeitung and Sport 1 in Germany and appears as a pundit for BT Sport and ESPN as well as Sky in Germany. He is also a regular fixture on the Guardian's award-winning podcast, Football Weekly. His first book, Englischer Fussball, was shortlisted for Football Book of the Year.
- Author(s)Raphael Honigstein
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication19/05/2016
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintYellow Jersey Press
- Weight214 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $37.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.