All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
About this product
- DescriptionToday we all have access to a lot of data. Even more crucially, we also have easy access, through our personal computers and powerful free software packages, to the means to process the corpus of data and extract intelligence from it. Quite needlessly though, the necessary kwledge skills remain the exclusive preserve of a few, which this book sets out to change. Although most data analytics techniques have a mathematical basis, people with a grasp of high school mathematics can gain a deep intuitive understanding of the underlying techniques and apply them correctly and effectively. To make this possible, the book: </p><ul><li>Focuses on intuitive explanations with examples, while avoiding deep mathematics;</li><li>Provides numerous examples, tables and figures (over 200 figures and 110 tables), to help readers grasp the concepts and techniques; </li><li>Introduces the R statistical programming environment and provides step-by-step guidance to learn R and apply it to the techniques covered; After working through the book readers will be able to independently apply the techniques covered on their own data. After completing the book, readers would have mastered an important subset of the R language.</li><li>Recognizing that people master new topics only by doing, the book provides many instructive labs, -lab assignments and review questions with detailed guidance and explanations. Rather than just providing the steps in the form of what to do, the book also explains why? </li><li>All the data files needed to work through the labs and lab assignments are available as free downloads from the book's web site.</li><li>To shield those who are new to any form of computer programming, the book comes with many convenience functions that can serve to automate what might otherwise be confusing procedures.</li></ul> The book covers the following topics: <ul><li> Quick introduction to R programming -- assumes prior background in R;</li><li>Important data analytics concepts;</li><li>Exploratory data analysis and graphing with R;</li><li>Affinity analysis;</li><li>Classification techniques like K nearest neighbors, Naive Bayes and Classification trees;</li><li>Regression techniques like simple and multiple linear regression; K nearest neighbors for regression and regression trees;</li><li>Time series analysis; and</li><li>Data reduction techniques like Principal Component analysis (PCA) and cluster analysis (k-means clustering)</li></ul> After completing the book, readers would have had a huge amount of hands-on experience, with a great intuitive understanding of the underlying theory.
- Author BiographyDr. Viswa Viswanathan teaches Computing and Decision Sciences at Seton Hall University in New Jersey, USA. In addition to his significant teaching experience at the Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata and at Seton Hall University, he has spent a decade in the software industry in the US and in India. He enjoys developing and deploying significant web-applications. Viswa has authored several peer-reviewed scholarly articles in leading journals like Operations Research, IEEE Software, International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education and Computers and Industrial Engineering. His work has touched many fields including information systems, artificial intelligence, Operations Research, software development and computer based learning. Viswa's keen interest in understanding how people learn and his evidence-based conviction that people learn best by doing has led him to explore new approaches to helping people to learn advanced concepts. Through his writing, he hopes to make seemingly advanced concepts accessible to many people.
- Author(s)Viswa Viswanathan
- PublisherInfivista Inc
- Date of Publication29/08/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCareers & Success
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintInfivista Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight971 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.