All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDatabase Modeling and Design focuses on techniques for database design in relational database systems. The book discusses the entity-relationship approach and the unified modeling language approach; both are used throughout the book when it refers to logical database design for the specification of data requirements and conceptual modeling. The book starts with a description of the life cycle of databases, and it goes on to discuss the entity-relationship model and unified modeling languages. It demonstrates how data modeling concepts are used in the process of database design. The book covers database rmalization, including information about equivalence on the function of the entity-relationship and unified modeling language conceptual models, and the relational model of the Boyce Codd rmal form. The book explores the difference between object-oriented database systems and relational database systems. It includes a description on handling the impedance mismatch problem by the extensions made to relational systems. Web techlogies, including an overview and specific database design issues on XML, are also covered in this book. Lastly, IBMs Rational Data Architect, Computer Associates AllFusion ERwin Data Modeler, and Sysbases PowerDesigner are discussed, and their uses for handling complex data modeling problems are demonstrated. This book will serve as a guide for both vice and experienced professional database practitioners.
- Author BiographyToby J. Teorey is a professor in the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering from the University of Arizona, Tucson, and a Ph.D. in computer sciences from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He was general chair of the 1981 ACM SIGMOD Conference and program chair for the 1991 Entity-Relationship Conference. Professor Teorey's current research focuses on database design and data warehousing, OLAP, advanced database systems, and performance of computer networks. He is a member of the ACM and the IEEE Computer Society. Sam Lightstone is a Senior Technical Staff Member and Development Manager with IBM's DB2 product development team. His work includes numerous topics in autonomic computing and relational database management systems. He is cofounder and leader of DB2's autonomic computing R&D effort. He is Chair of the IEEE Data Engineering Workgroup on Self Managing Database Systems and a member of the IEEE Computer Society Task Force on Autonomous and Autonomic Computing. In 2003 he was elected to the Canadian Technical Excellence Council, the Canadian affiliate of the IBM Academy of Technology. He is an IBM Master Inventor with over 25 patents and patents pending; he has published widely on autonomic computing for relational database systems. He has been with IBM since 1991. Tom Nadeau is the founder of Aladdin Software (aladdinsoftware.com) and works in the area of data and text mining. He received his B.S. degree in computer science and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering and computer science from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. His technical interests include data warehousing, OLAP, data mining and machine learning. He won the best paper award at the 2001 IBM CASCON Conference. H.V. Jagadish is a professor in EE and CS at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, where he is part of the database group affiliated with the bioinformatics program and the Center for Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics. Prior to joining the Michigan faculty, he spent over a decade at AT&T Bell Laboratories as a research scientist where he became head of the Database division.
- Author(s)H. V. Jagadish,Sam S. Lightstone,Toby J. Teorey,Tom Nadeau
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication28/03/2011
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Series TitleThe Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems
- Place of PublicationSan Francisco
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMorgan Kaufmann Publishers In
- Content NoteApprox. 130 illustrations
- Weight720 g
- Width190 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement5th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.