All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Boksburg was published in 1982 as one of the earlier photobooks made in South Africa. David Goldblatt, himself from a white back-ground and a critical observer of the dynamics inherent in the racist set-up of his native country, had become interested in capturing the wholly uneventful flow of commonplace, orderly life of the white population around him. Boksburg, a legally white-only town on the eastern periphery of Johannesburg which was heavily dependent on black labor, seemed to fit best his purposes, and between 1979 and 1980 he recorded everyday scenes in the streets, shops, clubs, churches, the municipality, homes, gardens and cemetery, choosing a fly-on-the-wall approach. Despite its nuanced complexity, the essay was rejected by Optima magazine which had commissioned it. Several photographs have been added to this Steidl edition, and it contains a new essay by Sean O'Toole, providing keen insight into the history of the book and the story behind the photographs and their subjects.
- Author(s)David Goldblatt,Sean O'Toole
- PublisherSteidl Publishers
- Date of Publication27/10/2016
- Place of PublicationGottingen
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSteidl Verlag
- Weight850 g
- Width250 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.