All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis reading of 2 Samuel continues the analysis of the books of Samuel begun in Samuel and the Deuteromist. The figure of David drawn in 2 Samuel both dominates the story and provides a major challenge to readers who would view the larger narrative as unified historiography composed by sophisticated authors and editors. The fates of Saul and David in 1D2 Samuel seem to cohere only with great difficulty, and DavidOs own story appears to many to be a pastiche of earlier sources. PolzinOs provocative new reading of 2 Samuel makes a strong case for a complex yet coherent picture of the monarchy within Israelite theology. Using the insights of Mikhail Bakhtin and other modern scholars, Polzin argues that the composition of the Deuteromic history was a major step in the development of an important genre in world literature, and that the books of Samuel are an excellent example of the genius of ancient Israelite narrative.
- Author BiographyROBERT POLZIN is Director, School of Comparative Literary Studies and Professor of Religion, Carleton University. He is author of Moses and the Deuteronomist and Samuel and the Deuteronomist, both volumes in a series of four books on the Deuteronomic History, as well as Late Biblical Hebrew.
- Author(s)Robert M. Polzin
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1993
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleIndiana Studies in Biblical Literature
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight538 g
- Width165 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine22 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.46
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.12
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $55.99
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.