All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionArtist Ted De Grazia (1909-1982) lived life with passion and verve, embracing risk and romance, becoming a legend in Arizona and gaining international acclaim. De Grazia: The Man and the Myths is a biography that reveals the eccentric, colorful man behind the myths. This highly entertaining book by James W. Johnson with Marilyn D. Johnson looks at De Grazia's life from his early years until his death. Born in Arizona Territory to Italian immigrant parents, De Grazia, who was also kwn as Ted DeGrazia, had a humble childhood as a copper miner's son influenced his famous persona later. De Grazia often held forth at his gallery in Tucson's Catalina foothills dressed in a pseudo prospector's getup of scraggly beard, jeans, flannel shirt, boots, and beat-up cowboy hat. Outrageous stories of womanizing, scores of children, and drinking binges created an eclectic image that fueled stories of mythic proportions, along with global sales of his colorful paintings inspired by the Southwest and Mexico. He made millions through his paintings and the licensing of his art for greeting cards and trinkets. Critics called his work kitsch or commercial, yet thousands of admirers continue to love it. Calling De Grazia a complicated man doesn't begin to explain him. He once described himself as t saint r devil, but both. The first book of its kind, De Grazia: The Man and the Myths tells the story of a life remarkably lived.
- Author BiographyJames W. Johnson is Professor of Journalism at the University of Arizona, USA Marilyn D. Johnson is a former reporter and copyeditor at the Oregonian, the Arizona Republic, the Arizona Business Gazette, and the Tucson Citizen. She holds a bachelor's degree in English from San Francisco State University and a master's degree in journalism from the University of Arizona, USA.
- Author(s)James W. Johnson,Marilyn D. Johnson
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2016
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Note41 black & white photographs, 22 colour photographs
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.