Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $86.71
About this product
- DescriptionSusan Wicks' poetry transforms the apparently ordinary into something precise, surprising and revelatory. These new poems are a departure for her, exploring the cracks in our experience - between movement and stasis, the everyday reality that surrounds us and what we perceive of it, between what our bodies experience and what can or can't be captured in paint or ink. Many of the poems are about escaping - in a car loaded with stolen meat or in the de-iced plane of the title - an escape that takes us first to the sw-bound world of the central MacDowell Winter sequence, and then, in her seriously playful Graham Mickleworth poems, in search of the w-you-see-them-w-you-don't family of a fictional painter. For running away is also running towards, even a kind of pilgrimage, to a place where art and experience, past and future, merge and find ways to survive.
- Author BiographySusan Wicks was born and grew up in Kent and studied French Literature at the Universities of Hull and Sussex. Her Night Toad: New & Selected Poems (Bloodaxe Books, 2003) included a new collection with selections from three earlier books published by Faber: Singing Underwater, winner of the Aldeburgh Poetry Festival Prize; Open Diagnosis, which was one of the Poetry Society's New Generation Poets titles; and The Clever Daughter, a Poetry Book Society Choice which was shortlisted for both T.S. Eliot and Forward Prizes. She has also published two novels and a short memoir, Driving My Father. She has lived in France, Ireland and the U.S. and held writing residencies in North America and Europe. She is Director of the Centre for Creative Writing at the University of Kent, and lives in Tunbridge Wells.
- Author(s)Susan Wicks
- PublisherBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Date of Publication10/01/2007
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationTyne and Wear
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Weight136 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.