All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first of the great Russian vels and one of the indisputable masterpieces of world literature, Dead Souls is the tale of Chichikov, an affably cunning con man who causes consternation in a small Russian town when he shows up out of where proposing to buy title to serfs who, though dead as doornails, are still property on paper. What can he have up his sleeve, the local landowners wonder, even as some rush to unload what isn't of any use to them anyway, while others seek to negotiate the best deal possible, and others yet hold on to their dead for dear life, since if somebody wants what you have then matter what don't give it away. Chichikov's scheme soon encounters obstacles, but he is never without resource, and as he stumbles forward as best he can, Gogol paints a wonderfully comic picture of Russian life that also serves as a biting satire of a society as corrupt as it is cynical and silly. At once a wild phantasmagoria and a work of exacting realism, Dead Souls is a supremely living work of art that spills over with humor and passion and absurdity. Donald Rayfield's vigorous new translation corrects the mistakes and omissions of earlier versions while capturing the vivid speech rhythms of the original. It also offers a fuller text of the unfinished second part of the book by combining material from Gogol's two surviving drafts into a single compelling narrative. This is a tour de force of art and scholarship-and the most authoritative, accurate, and readable edition of Dead Souls available in English.
- Author BiographyNIKOLAI GOGOL (1809-1852) was a Ukrainian-born Russian novelist, humorist, and dramatist. The novels Taras Bulba and Dead Souls, the play The Inspector-General, and the short stories The Diary of a Madman, The Nose, and The Overcoat are among his best-known works. DONALD RAYFIELD is emeritus professor of Russian and Georgian at Queen Mary, University of London.
- Author(s)Nikolai Vasilievich Gogol
- PublisherThe New York Review of Books, Inc
- Date of Publication06/09/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York Review of Books Classics
- Weight426 g
- Width122 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Translated byDonald Rayfield
- Edition StatementMain
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.19
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.55
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $21.58Trending at AU $24.17
- AU $11.52Trending at AU $14.32
- AU $11.88Trending at AU $15.40
- AU $23.64Trending at AU $26.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.