All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUntil the middle of the last century, London's social calendar was dominated by 'the Season', a round of social events and parties during which the daughters of the upper classes made their 'debuts'. Debutantes and their families descended on the capital from all over Britain to take part in this elaborate process that in its blend of glamour, great privilege and archaic and sometimes comic ritual is emblematic of a world w lost. From the preparations and formalities of court presentation to the exhausting round of parties that followed, Debutantes and the London Season is a detailed look at a phemen that was central to the lives of generations of privileged young ladies.
- Author BiographyLucinda Gosling studied history at the University of Liverpool and has worked in the picture library industry since 1993, currently at historical specialist, Mary Evans Picture Library, and formerly as manager of the Illustrated London News archive. Her interests and areas of specialisation include illustration, royalty and World War I. She has written articles on a wide range of subjects for magazines such as History Today, Illustration, Handmade Living and BBC News Online and is a regular contributor of features on royal history to Majesty magazine. She recently authored the successful Illustrated Royal Weddings by Haymarket and ILN Ltd and is currently working on a Diamond Jubilee title for the same publishers. Her book, Brushes & Bayonets, an exploration of the First World War through the cartoons and drawings in the Illustrated London News archive was published by Osprey in 2008.
- Author(s)Lucinda Gosling
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication11/02/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleShire Library
- Series Part/Volume Number725
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content Note70 col
- Weight148 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.