All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionDeceptive Images is a profoundly thoughtful effort by a social scientist-who is a participant observer in American Jewish life-to come to terms with his concerns about how American Jews and Judaism have been studied, and his sensitivity to the policy implications of such studies. Liebman writes about what he cares deeply about; as a social scientist he is able to use concepts and theories in which he has been trained, although t without a sense of their limitations. In the passionately argued book that results, Liebman contends that those concerned with American Jews, both social scientists and communal leaders, have placed too much emphasis on what Jews do and too little emphasis on Judaism itself. Because they have depended too much on quantitative studies to help them understand contemporary American Jews, they have given too little encouragement to efforts to probe the meaning of Judaism in the lives of American Jews. This stimulating volume takes exception to the tion that American Jewish life is flourishing. It calls for reassessment both of the study of American Judaism and the priorities of American Jewish organizations.
- Author BiographyCharles S. Liebman (1934-2003) was a professor at Bar-Ilan University in Israel and is considered a preeminent scholar of Judaism and Jewish life. A prolific author, he was the 2003 recipient of the Marshall Sklare Award (from the Association for the Social Scientific Study of Jewry), as well as a recipient of the Israel Prize, the state's highest honor.
- Author(s)Charles S. Liebman
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication30/05/2016
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine7 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.