All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.06Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.01
About this product
- DescriptionThe study of decisions in the criminal justice process provides a useful focus for the examination of many fundamental aspects of criminal jus- tice. These decisions are t always highly visible. They are made, or- dinarily, within wide areas of discretion. The aims of the decisions are t always clear, and, indeed, the principal objectives of these decisions are often the subject of much debate. Usually they are t guided by explicit decision policies. Often the participants are unable to verbalize the basis for the selection of decision alternatives. Adequate information for the decisions is usually unavailable. Rarely can the decisions be demonstrated to be rational. By a rationaldecision we mean that decision among those possible for the decisionmaker which, in the light of the information available, maximizes the probability of the achievement of the purpose of the decisionmaker in that specific and particular case (Wilkins, 1974a: 70; also 1969). This definition, which stems from statistical decision theory, points to three fundamental characteristics of decisions. First, it is as- sumed that a choice of possible decisions (or, more precisely, of possible alternatives) is available. If only one choice is possible, there is de- cision problem, and the question of rationality does t arise. Usually, of course, there will be a choice, even if the alternative is to decide t to decide-a choice that, of course, often has profound consequences.
- Author(s)Don M. Gottfredson,Michael R Gottfredson
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleLaw, Society & Policy
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight504 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1988
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.