All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $73.96Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionA straightforward guide to understanding the hidden cultural challenges of adapting to life abroad. Combining intercultural theory and the voices of sojourners who talk about their experiences, it maps out the process of resisting, accepting and adapting to cultural difference. We see that all sojourners, from tourists, to expatriates to immigrants, go through a similar learning dynamic. We learn that intercultural experiences can be deep or shallow, and that hidden cultural difference can increase sojourner prejudice. The book examines intercultural sensitivity while avoiding feel good idealizations about cross-cultural contact. It brings clarity to debates regarding the importance of cultural difference and the effects of globalization. An essential resource for sojourners, language teachers and intercultural educators.
- Author BiographyBorn in California, Joseph Shaules (PhD) has worked in language and intercultural education for more than 20 years. For ten years he was a tenured faculty member at Rikkyo University, Tokyo. He has worked in curriculum design, educational publishing, and was the co-presenter of the NHK television program Crossroads Cafe. He teaches courses in intercultural education at the Rikkyo Graduate School of Intercultural Communication. He does intercultural training in Japan, and has lived and worked abroad (Mexico, Japan, and France) for more than 20 years. He is proficient in English, Japanese, French and Spanish. He created the PICO Intercultural Learning System and is the director of the Japan Intercultural Institute.
- Author(s)Joseph Shaules
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication11/10/2007
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleLanguages for Intercultural Communication and Education
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight361 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.