Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionI felt like I walked the walk and could implement many of the strategies after reading it once. -Andrea Golarz-Ziemba, Teacher O.P. Morton Elementary School, Hobart, IN If our newest teachers came out of college with this kwledge, supplemented with the learning standards, their students would be more successful from day one. -Patti Larche, Director of Curriculum and Instruction Phelps-Clifton Springs CSD, NY Practical strategies to take your students' understanding from So what? to Wow! With the amount of content that teachers have to teach, how can we ensure that students gain a deep and lasting understanding of what they have learned? Based on the most current research on cognition and the brain, this exciting book provides teachers with a systematic, reflective approach to incorporating powerful learning and content processing techniques into everyday instruction. Nationally recognized experts Eric Jensen and LeAnn Nickelsen outline the Deeper Learning Cycle (DELC), an instructional model that incorporates brain research, standards, and individual learning differences, to help educators teach for deeper understanding and critical thinking. This invaluable resource includes: In-depth chapters explaining the seven stages of the DELC: planning with standards and curriculum, pre-assessing, building a positive learning culture, priming and activating prior kwledge, acquiring new kwledge, processing the learning, and evaluating student learning A Deeper Learning lesson plan template to apply to daily instruction 50 strategies to differentiate instruction based on learning levels and to help students process content in meaningful ways Reflection questions to help teachers apply the material to their own practice Deeper Learning is a powerful tool to promote and support student progress beyond the surface level of understanding in any subject area.
- Author BiographyEric Jensen is a former teacher and current member of the Society for Neuroscience and New York Academy of Sciences. He has taught at all levels, from elementary through university level and is currently completing his PhD in human development. In 1981, Jensen cofounded SuperCamp, the nation's first and largest brain-compatible learning program, now with over 50,000 graduates. He has since written Teaching with the Brain in Mind, Brain-Based Learning, Deeper Learning, Arts with the Brain in Mind, Enriching the Brain, and 21 other books on learning and the brain. A leader in the brain-based movement, Jensen has made over 45 visits to neuroscience labs and interacts with countless neuroscientists. He was the founder of the Learning Brain EXPO and has trained educators and trainers for 25 years worldwide in this field. He is deeply committed to making a positive, significant, lasting difference in the way we learn. LeAnn Nickelsen, M.Ed. is a former teacher and currently provides staff development nationally on topics including brain research, reading and vocabulary strategies, how food affects learning, and differentiated instruction. She was a classroom teacher in three states and won a Teacher of the Year Award in Texas. LeAnn is known as the teacher's teacher because of her practical, research-based examples that teachers can easily implement in their classrooms. She has a passion for both instilling the love for learning as well as helping teachers succeed. She currently resides in Ridgefield, Connecticut and parents her school age twins. She is the member of Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) and presenter for Staff Development for Educators (SDE). She is the author of eight books published by Scholastic, Inc. including Memorizing Strategies & Other Brain-Based Activities and a four-series set called Comprehension Mini-Lessons. She has written articles for parenting magazines and The Praeger Handbook of Learning and the Brain. Currently, LeAnn does staff development and may be reached at email@example.com or call 203-790-0119. To purchase any of LeAnn's books go to her website: www.maximizelearninginc.com.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication04/06/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCorwin Press Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1107 g
- Width215 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byEric P. Jensen,LeAnn Nickelsen
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.