All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory by Carol J. Adams was published more than twenty years ago, it caused an immediate stir among writers and thinkers, feminists and animal rights activists alike. Never before had the relationship between patriarchy and meat eating been drawn so clearly, the idea that there lies a strong connection between the consumption of women and animals so plainly asserted. But, as the 21 personal stories in this anthology show, the impact of this provocative text on women's lives continues to this day and it is as diverse as it is revelatory. One writer attempts to reconcile her feminist-vegan beliefs with her Muslim upbringing; a second makes the connection between animal abuse and her own self-destructive tendencies. A new mother discusses the sexual politics of breastfeeding, while ather pens a letter to her young son about all she wishes for him in the future. Many others recall how the book inspired them to start careers in the music business, animal advocacy and food. No matter whether they first read it in college or later in life, whether they are in their late teens or early forties, these writers all credit The Sexual Politics of Meat in some way with the awakening of their identities as feminists, activists and women. Even if you haven't read the original work, you're sure to be moved and inspired by these tales of growing up and, perhaps more important, waking up to the truths around us. Including a foreword from Carol J. Adams herself, this collection of fresh, bold voices defies expectations and provides rousing support for the belief that women have the power to change the world around them for this generation and those to come.
- Author BiographyKara Davis is Managing Director at Lantern Books. She is a street activist who got her start as a teen with the Sanctuary Movement in Arizona and worked many years with Act Up and Fed Up Queers in NYC. She recently attempted some food activism in the locavore crazy Hudson Valley by accepting food stamps for pickled vegetables, fresh tofu, seitan and nut cheese at the farmer's market and running a sliding scale vegan C.S.A. Kara is a proud volunteer at the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and lives in a crumbling old house with her girlfriend and too many rescued cats. Wendy Lee is Publishing Director at Lantern Books. In addition to spending more than ten years in publishing, she has worked as an English teacher in China, led creative writing workshops and served as a mentor with the nonprofit Girls Write Now. She is, also, the author of Happy Family (Grove Press), which was named one of the top ten debut novels of 2008 by Booklist. She lives in Astoria, Queens. Carol J. Adams is the author of the landmark book The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory and The Pornography of Meat. Besides advancing scholarship and developing theory in the area of interlocking oppressions, Carol has created a series of books that address the vegetarian/vegan experience: Living Among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarian Survival Guide, Help! My Child Stopped Eating Meat! and The Inner Art of Vegetarianism and Meditations on the Inner Art of Vegetarianism. She lives outside Dallas, Texas.
- PublisherLantern Books,US
- Date of Publication19/03/2013
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1900
- ImprintLantern Books,US
- Weight500 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byKara Davis,Wendy Lee
- Foreword byCarol J. Adams
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.