All listings for this product
About this product
- Description* IDW's Library of American Comics is producing The Definitive Flash Gordon & Jungle Jim as part of the Ultimate Alex Raymond Collection. Edited by Eisner Award-winner Dean Mullaney, The Definitive Flash Gordon & Jungle Jim will present every Sunday by Raymond from both classic strips together for the first time, in the oversized 12 x 16 champagne edition format. *Created by Raymond in 1934, Flash Gordon is arguably the most famous science fiction comic strip of all time. It follows the adventures of the title character and his companions, Dale Arden and Dr. Zarkov, as they leave Earth to discover the source of meteors that are threatening the planet, and get waylaid on the planet Mongo, where they battle the evil Ming the Merciless. The three Earthlings encounter one strange race after ather, from the water-breathing Shark-Men of the Undersea Kingdom, the winged Hawkmen, and the ferocious Tusk-Men. All the while, Flash finds himself in the arms of one beautiful woman after ather - much to Dale Arden's chagrin. *Jungle Jim was created as a strip topper for Flash Gordon, and followed the life of Jim Bradley, who fought pirates, slave traders, and assorted villains in the exotic Southeast Asia of the 1930s. This neglected Raymond classic also features Jim's native cohort Kolu and femme fatale Lille DeVrille.
- Author BiographyAlex Raymond (1909-1956) is regarded, with Milton Caniff and Hal Foster, as one of the three giants of newspaper adventure strip artists. Raymond apprenticed with Chic Young on Blondie and Lyman Young on Tim Tyler's Luck. The year 1934 was a major turning point in his career: he illustrated Secret Agent X-9, a new detective comic strip written by Dashiell Hammett, and then created Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim. He left X-9 after a couple of years and continued drawing Flash and Jim, with a writing assist from Don Moore, until 1944, when he enlisted in the Marines. In 1946 Raymond created the ultimate post-War cool detective series, Rip Kirby, which is also available from the Library of American Comics.
- Author(s)Alex Raymond
- PublisherIdea & Design Works
- Date of Publication13/12/2011
- SubjectGraphic Novels: General
- Place of PublicationSan Diego
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIdea & Design Works
- Content Notechiefly col. Illustrations
- Weight2201 g
- Width313 mm
- Height412 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byDean Mullaney
- Artist(s)Alex Raymond
- Interest AgeFrom 16
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.71
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $23.42Trending at AU $26.67
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.10
- AU $56.62Trending at AU $60.72
- AU $7.48Trending at AU $12.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.