All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionThis complete catalogue of the English and Irish delftware in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, reveals much that is beautiful and unusual. The greater part of the collection was bequeathed by Dr J.W.L. Glaisher in 1928, and much of it is little kwn. A detailed publication has long been overdue, and this book illustrates 588 items in colour, many with multiple views. The strength of Dr Glaisher's collection is the English earthenware of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, particularly delftware: better assemblage has ever been made by a single collector. He amassed objects with great academic rigour over a period of more than thirty years, concentrating particularly on dated pieces while always exercising a discriminating and aesthetical eye. Michael Archer's catalogue provides details of date and place of manufacture, size, body, glaze, decoration and provenance with a full discussion where appropriate. Julia Poole has contributed a fascinating chapter with much new material on Dr Glaisher's life and the extraordinary breadth of his collecting interests. There is also a general introduction to delftware, including a description of the manufacturing process; further sections give indexes and exhaustive information on all the works. This book is an essential addition to the library of all scholars, collectors, auction rooms and dealers in the field and invaluable to those members of the public with an interest in the history of English pottery generally and delftware in particular.
- Author BiographyMichael Archer OBE, MA, FSA is a former Keeper of the Ceramics Department of the Victoria and Albert Museum where he became the acknowledged expert on English delftware. He has written numerous articles and books on ceramics, culminating in Delftware: the Tin-Glazed Earthenware of the British Isles, a catalogue of the collections in the Victoria and Albert Museum, published in 1997.
- Author(s)Michael Archer
- PublisherPhilip Wilson Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication18/12/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhilip Wilson Publishers Ltd
- Content Note1000 quarter page, 15 full page colour
- Weight2835 g
- Width230 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $74.11Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $35.47Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $21.74
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.