All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.82Trending at AU $7.34
- AU $63.09Trending at AU $76.70
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.56Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
About this product
- DescriptionThis book addresses the question of cultural pluralism and its implications for citizenship and national identity in post-war Britain. The author examines the role of underlying public philosophies reflected in laws, policies, and institutional arrangements. When a political community faces challenges of diversity, people explore new principles of social formation, that is, what kind of society they desire based on which methods of maintaining peace and cooperation. In other words, citizens of a political community try to forge a new social contract which is fair to social majorities as well as mirities. Such a contract includes rights and obligations on three levels: the range of state intervention, acceptable responsibility of society, and due liberty of the individual. This book explores Britain's approach to responding to such challenges of diversity as devolution, European integration, and multiculturalism have deepened. The author interprets Britain's principles under the name of deliberative multiculturalism, which consists of rational dialogue and mutual respect with firmly guaranteed political rights.
- Author BiographyNam-Kook Kim is Professor at the Department of Political Science and International Relations at Korea University. He studied at Seoul National University, Korea and at the University of Oxford (UK) and received his PhD in Political Science from the University of Chicago (USA). His research focuses on philosophical interpretation of public policy in the areas of citizenship, human rights and multiculturalism in Europe and Asia.
- Author(s)Nam-Kook Kim
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication18/08/2011
- Series TitleArbeit, Bildung & Gesellschaft Labour, Education & Society
- Series Part/Volume Number23
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight370 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.