All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll I really wanted was to try and live the life that was spontaneously welling up within me. Why was that so very difficult? Generations of readers have recognized the impassioned cry that introduces the young narrator of <i>Demian</i>, and embraced this tale of a troubled young man's struggle toward self-awareness. Initially published in Berlin in 1919, the vel met with instant critical acclaim, as well as great popular success among people seeking answers amid the devastating aftermath of World War I.A brilliant psychological portrait of an individual's departure from social conventions in the search for spiritual fulfillment, <i>Demian</i> encompasses many of the themes associated with Hermann Hesse, its Noble Prize-winning author, particularly the duality of human nature and the quest for inner peace.Considered an important work in the evolution of 20th-century European literature, this perceptive coming-of-age vel enjoys a particular resonance with young adults, a fact that has made <i>Demian</i> a perennial favorite in schools and colleges all over the world. This inexpensive edition, featuring an excellent new English translation, is sure to be welcomed by teachers and students, and by the legions of confirmed Hesse fans.
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication18/12/2000
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Weight91 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine6 mm
Most relevant reviews
- franniam29 Oct, 2016by
Crisp, clean, no errors, perfect.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.