Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionWilliam E. Conlly's political theory forms a distinct and influential contribution to contemporary debates about the nature and prospects of democratic life in the twenty-first century. His original conceptualisations of pluralism, naturalism, the politics of the body, religion, secularism and his daring incorporation of contemporary neurobiology into political theory and analysis, have opened new paths for intellectual enquiry. Conlly has brought an American tradition of pragmatist political thinking into fruitful conversation with the best of contemporary continental European philosophy and given to both a new energy and focus. In this edited collection, a distinguished panel of political theorists from both Europe and the US provide a critical and nuanced assessment of his contribution to the discipline, especially in the field of democratic theory. They identify the sources of Conlly's work, its connections to other ways of thinking about the political and they evaluate his continuing contribution to our understanding of the problems and promises of the present and to our appreciation of what it might mean to fulfil the promise of the democratic way of life. The final chapter provides space for Conlly himself to reflect on his interlocutors and further develop his conception of a 'world of becoming' considering the links between political theory and the science of complexity while focusing on the immediate challenges facing both American and world politics. Democracy and Pluralism provides a critical introduction to the work of William E. Conlly and to contemporary debates in political theory encompassing topics such as radical democracy, the body, religion, time and contingency.
- Author BiographyAlan Finlayson is Reader in the Department of Politics and International Relations at Swansea University. He has written widely on political theories of radical democracy and on the critical analysis of ideology and governmentality in British Politics.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/10/2009
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleRoutledge Innovations in Political Theory
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight589 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAlan Finlayson,Samuel A. Chambers
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.