All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionDemocracy in Muslim Societies: The Asian Experience explores the character of the political transformation and democratic transition in the Asian Muslim world. It asks whether democracy is appropriate and desirable as a political system for n-Western societies, and assesses the extent of actual democratization in each of the countries studied, namely, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Pakistan and Turkey. The book questions the widely held view that the socio-political ethos of Islam as a religion, and of Muslim countries as societal units, prevents Muslims from adopting democracy as a form of government. The contributors argue that this perception comes from post-9/11 studies of Arab states and that n-Arab Muslim populations in Asia and Africa do t fit the same mould. At the same time, it is clear that a single model of democracy cant work across these six countries because each country has a different history and has tread on a different path in the quest for democracy. Ultimately, this book concludes that there is fundamental incompatibility between Islam and democracy in the Asian Muslim societies.
- Author BiographyZoya Hasan is Professor, Centre for Political Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University. She is the author and editor of eleven books and has published over two dozen articles. Her recent books include Quest for Power: Oppositional Movements and Post-Congress Politics in Uttar Pradesh; Unequal Citizens: A Study of Muslim Women In India(co-authored); Party Politics in India (edited), India's Living Constitution: Ideas, Practices and Controversies (co-edited); Transforming India: Social Dynamics of Democracy (coedited); and In a Minority: Essays on Muslim Women in India (co-edited). She has also edited the third book in our 'Readings in Indian Government and Politics' series, Politics and the State in India (Sage, 2000).
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication04/10/2007
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Weight426 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byZoya Hasan
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.